Thursday, January 04, 2007

Scrap-lifting

This is a blatant scrap-lift from one of Ruey Chong's layouts that she posted on her blog. I fell in love with her layout (Gappy Grin) the minute I saw it and when I got the photo of Ty and his cousin, Kholil, developed, I thought that the photo would work well with Ruey's design. Thanks very much Ruey for the inspiration.
Scrap-lift: To copy an existing layout design/format but to make it your own with different paper and embellishments.




Materials: Textured Cardstock: Bazzill Basics Paper Bling; Patterned Paper: Karen Foster and Junkitz; Flower, Alphabet Chipboard and Date Stamp: Heidi Swapp for Advantus; Acrylic Paint, Tagmaker and Circle Tag: Making Memories; Rub-on: DCWV Quote Stack; Ink: Zig Embossing Pen; Circle Cutter: Kuretake.


  • The bling cardstock and patterned paper were bought from Shabby Chic at the Mall and it was a fabulous feeling to be able to shop for paper with a photo in mind. Most of the time, I am only able to buy whatever catches my fancy as there were no scrapbooking shops available in Brunei not too long ago. Once I got home with my new buys, I got to work immediately.

  • Because the design for this layout was a scrap-lift, it did not take me very long to complete. The only difficulty I had was finding patterned paper with patterned circles that I could cut out. I did not have much choice on this and consider myself lucky to find the Junkitz paper with some circles printed on. At the end of the day, I still did not have enough cut out circles to achieve the same effect that Ruey got on her layout.

  • I rather liked the end result of this layout but funnily enough, most of the comments that I got from family was that this layout was "not me". They have attributed this to the fact that it is a scrap-lifted design and that my style of scrapbooking is a more linear and clean lines sort of style. I guess they are right in that sense but hey it was still fun doing this layout so no regrets there.

7 comments:

Sleepless said...

God Bless Shabby Chic! Got the same pattern paper from them a couple of weeks ago. Brought Shaz there too when she was back here on holiday.

Did you handcut the circles?

Scrapper-holic said...

Hi Another Sleepless Night

Thanks for your comments. I used a circle cutter by Kuretake to cut out the circles. I got the cutter from Laine's papeterie in Singapore and it cost about $30 something. I bought the Fiskars Shapecutter and circle templates from Perth in 2003 but it was really fiddly as the templates would move.

I was in Laine's when i saw Sharon using it to cut circles for class kits and the ease with which she used it was amazing. No hesitation for me after that. Hee.

DO you have a scrapping blog too? I would love to read it if you do. :-)

Sleepless said...

Ah..yes..I see he Kuretake circle cutter on your materials list.

I must praise you for taking the time to list out your materials. Its very helpful.

Would love to have you visit my blog www.anoher-sleepless-night.blogspot.com

It has some of my scrapping attempts thrown in with a bit of Moans & Groans.

Layout photos are often delayed by "The Collector". He has to edit and upload photos into my computer. Am useless at it...so I cant exactly nag him about the delays...

Happy Reading...

Shaz said...

Love you scraplifted layout! I must say i have not tried the Kuretake Circle cutter. I am now using Making Memories Circle cutter, it is great too! So at least now we know that these are the 2 brands we can count on with circle cutters. I must agree that fiskars cutters doesn't work well with me too i find it very wobbly and it takes alot of practice to get a good cut. keep scrapping gals!

Shaz said...

oh ... and thank you for adding me in your links..

Scrapper-holic said...

I've seen the MM circle cutter in magazines but i've not seen it in any shops or online. I wonder what's the largest circle the cutter can cut. The Kuretake one is kinda limited in that sense.

Hey thanks for adding me into your links too. I was really excited to receive comments from you and Another Sleepless Night. It's great to know that there are other Bruneian scrappers out there.

Ruey said...

I think you did a fabulous job with the scraplift. I haven't seen the Kuretake circle cutter...must go and google it. Always on the hunt for new tools and supplies. I use the creative memories circle cutter set....exxy...but easy to use...that is why I like circles sooo much.

But the layout you scraplifted...hor...must admit...those were all stickers by Memories complete. *blush*