Friday, January 05, 2007

At the Beach

My first double page 12x12 layout (finished ages ago but had difficulty uploading). My sister-in-law, BR, is a great kids photographer. She always manages to get great photos of the kids and she took these photos of Ty at the beach. She uses film so i had to borrow her negatives and had to print all the pictures. I knew this had to be a double page layout cos I had at least 11 pictures to scrap. Being "kiasu" of course, i developed my favourite photos in 5R (talk about being ambitious) and the rest in 4R plus i could not bear to leave any pics out. So this layout took me ages to plan out in order to get everything to fit nicely and i still had to leave out about 3 pics.


Materials: Textured Cardstock and Mulberry Paper: Bazzill Basics Paper; Photo Corners: 3L, Acrylic Paint, Tagmaker, Rectangle tag, Eyelets and Brads: Making Memories, Ribbon: EK Success Adornments; Chipboard Label Holder: Heidi Swapp for Advantus; License Plate: Sticker Studio; Transparency: Grafix; Tag and Brad: Queen & Co.; Paper Tearing Ruler: Plaid.

  • The Mulberry paper was supposed to evoke water. I wet the tip of a cotton bud with water and drew wet wavy lines on the mulberry paper. Then I just tore the paper along the wavy lines. The tearing gives the paper a textured effect because of the fibres of the mulberry paper.

  • For the focal photo that is double matted, I used a paper tearing ruler to create the wavy edges. It was not easy tearing cardstock and i actually tore the edge of the mat. Bazzill Basics Paper unfortunately does not have a white core (for cardstock with a white core, I have only been able to find DCWV Cardstock stacks at Laine's Papeterie in Singapore). So when i tore my cardstock, it did not have the effect i wanted so i used my white acrylic paint (MM-Spotlight) to paint the edges. LOL talk about cheating. Hee.

  • I think my colour scheme was a little too plain and boring but i really got tired of trying to do this layout that i just didn't bother anymore so long as everything matched. My photo corners were painted blue (to match of course-how exciting). I find that MM's acrylic paints do not stick so well on plastic materials. I was told at Laine's that there are new types of acrylic paints that are much better and would stick on plastic and metal. They were carrying the brand but i've forgotten what the brand name is. I did not pay much attention as i had already invested in most of the MM paint sets and they were selling these new ones individually. Ouch on the wallet so turn away, turn away.

  • I had fun printing my journalling on transparency. I had been searching high and low for transparencies and now www.scrappinggals.com do sell them by the sheet. The ones i have are for printing with bubble jet printers and they have a sort of textured side on which the ink would stick. Do note that these transparencies are sold for specific types of printers. So i could not run the ones i have thru a laser printer.

NB: Please don't mind the bullets. I seem to have a problem with spacing my paragraphs, i.e the spacebar doesn't seem to work and all my paragraphs were lumped together which makes it hard to read. If anyone knows of how to sort this out i would be really grateful. :-)

No comments: