Saturday, January 13, 2007

2 of a kind

I was re-organizing my patterned paper stash by brandnames (a lot easier than organizing by colour) and I realized that I had tons of paper by Basic Grey (love their distressed look) and have never even used a single one. EEPS!! So I decided the next layout must definitely be a Basic Grey layout no matter what.

I do not have many good photos of Ty with my parents or even my parent-in-laws so I was really happy to get these photos of Ty and my Dad on xmas eve.



Materials: Patterned Paper: Basic Grey; Chipboard Number, Acrylic Paint, Paper Edger, Sandpaper, Metal Washer and Metal Phrase Eyelet: Making Memories; Chipboard Alpha and Date Stamp: Heidi Swapp for Advantus; Ribbon: American Crafts; Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Antique Linen) and Cat's Eye Chalk; Paper Scuffer: Lasting Impressions; Circle Cutter: Kuretake; Corner Rounder: Carl.

I must admit, I'm not a big fan of the vintage distressed look. I do own the Making Memories Distress Kit and several Tim Holtz Distressing Ink pads but I rarely use them. In fact, I only bought the Distress Kit for the bone folder and paper edger. I've inked the edges of paper before but not with Tim Holtz ink pads. For this layout, I decided to accentuate the Basic Grey paper by going all out. Distress photos, paper and title!!

It is hard to tell but the photos were roughened with the MM Paper Edger and scuffed further with a paper scuffer. The chipboard was the most time consuming thing to do but also the most fun. As the chipboard were all raw, I painted the first layer white and when dry, I painted them all blue. Then I got to work with the fine sand paper from the MM Distress Kit. I love the effect of sanding but again it is hard to be able to tell from the photo.

The circle paper was a misjudgment on my side. Cut the circle much too small so for space filler, I cut out the circle patterns from the paper. So if you look under the photos, you find a mess of holes. Hehe.

The ribbon was the final touch. I had bought a whole lot of American Crafts ribbon from Shabby Chic but missed this pattern completely. I just could not find the right one from my stash. As luck would have it, I was at the Ritzqun for a wedding dinner on the 30th Dec. Not a good time to go to the Mall for sure. Took us 45mins to get into the area itself. During dinner, told The Hubby I had to pop out to the loo, then did an escape run for the 3rd floor. Hee. That was probably the longest loo visit ever. Hahaha.

No comments: